Markot is committed to protecting Your privacy and is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act).
In this document, “Personal Information” means the same as is defined in the Privacy Act 1988. Briefly defined, personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
Markot does not collect Your Personal Information when You access the Marketplace, except where Personal Information is voluntarily supplied by You. You are not required to disclose Your identity in order to access the Marketplace, but You are required to disclose this information if You become a Member with Markot.
Markot may collect Your Personal Information when You:
- 2.4.1. Send any enquiries about any of Markot’s Products on the Marketplace or through any of Markot’s social media pages.
- 2.4.2. Transact with Markot on the Marketplace and/or use the Marketplace.
- 2.4.3. Establish an Account on the Marketplace, dealing with Markot’s Customer Service team, or engaging with Markot’s social media platforms.
The Personal Information Markot may collect from You includes Your name, age, birthdate, gender, address, contact detail, location, telephone number, email address, profession, job title and bank details.
- 2.6.1. Markot may not be able to provide You with the Product at the same standard intended initially, if at all.
- 2.6.2. The content You see on the Marketplace may not be specifically tailored to You and what You like.
- 2.6.3. Markot may not be able to send You notifications or inform You about Products that we think You may want to see. This includes information about discounts and sales that Markot thinks You may be interested in.
Markot uses the Personal Information for the purpose for which it was specified or reasonably apparent at the time the Personal Information was collected. The Personal Information may be used in respect to the following:
- 3.1.1. Providing order confirmations and orders;
- 3.1.2. Assisting the offering of products and by Markot or its related entities, contractors, agents and/or employees;
- 3.1.3. To provide Products to You and send You information on existing Products that may interest You to manage and enhance our Products;
- 3.1.4. To verify Your identity for security and reliability purposes on the Marketplace;
The Marketplace’s use of technologies including cookies is quite limited. This includes Your IP address browser type, user behavior and user preferences. This information is compiled for the reason of improving and customising Your user experience and so that Markot can continuously make improvements to the Marketplace to better satisfy Your needs.
You have the option of disabling these technologies if Your browser gives You this option. Please note that the information collected by a cookie or other similar tracking device will not contain Your Personal Information.
Your Personal Information may be collected for the related purposes, including to:
- 3.4.1. provide services to You, to manage and account for the services and to improve the services;
- 3.4.2. manage and build our relationships with You;
- 3.4.3. provide You with information Products, events or news relating to Markot;
- 3.4.4. facilitate Markot’s internal business operations, including to fulfil the legal requirements;
- 3.4.5. assist the offering of services by our affiliated organisations, sponsors, agents, or service partners;
- 3.4.6. communicate promotional offers, marketing information or special events.
If You would not like to receive any communications or marketing information from Markot, You have the option of unsubscribing from Markot’s communications.
Markot also reserve the right to collect, hold, use and disclose any personal information for other purposes for which You have provided consent.
subject to Markot’s professional obligations, to any person where necessary or desirable in connection with the provision of legal services, such as to regulatory authorities, agents, or other partners or advisors (whether in Australia or overseas);
within Markot’s business;
on a confidential basis to external service providers so that they can provide financial, administrative, or other services in connection with the operation of the business.
on a confidential basis to agents or contractors;
to any debt collection organisation;
subject to professional obligations, as required by law;
with Your consent; or
if Markot believes, at its sole discretion, that disclosure is necessary or appropriate to:
- 4.8.1. prevent harm or loss, financial or otherwise;
- 4.8.2. respond to a serious state of emergency; or
- 4.8.3. prevent or mitigate illegal or criminal activity.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information to overseas parties may be necessary for the purpose of providing the services.
A “cookie” is basically a small text file that is put on any Visitor’s device when browsing or accessing the Marketplace to allow Markot to keep information relating to the Device’s access and use of the Marketplace. The aim is to continually improve Your online experience.
The cookies used by Markot are for the following reasons:
- 5.2.1. To save Your log-in information to make Access to the Marketplace easier on every Device the user works.
- 5.2.2. To hold history and keep track of the Products You view, add to Your Wishlist and add to Your Shopping Cart so that Markot may send You emails and notifications about these and other related Products. In essence, Markot are seeing what Your preferences are on the Marketplace.
- 5.2.3. To help Markot measure what Products and parts of the Marketplace are successful and where demand is more favourable towards.
To be able to improve the Products Markot puts on the Marketplace through researching Your habits which will also help with operate the Marketplace efficiently.
If You are unhappy with the Marketplace’s access to these cookies, You have the option of disabling cookies.
We take reasonable steps to protect all information which we hold (including Your personal information) from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure and to hold information securely in electronic or physical form. Markot stores information in access controlled premises or in electronic databases requiring logins and passwords. All partners and staff with access to confidential information are subject to confidentiality
No data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect Your Personal Information, Markot cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information You transmit to Markot over the internet, and You do so at Your own risk.
Markot is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of any linked third-party websites.
If Markot becomes aware of an eligible data breach, Markot will assess whether the breach is likely to result in serious harm to the individual whose personal information has been compromised. If such an assessment concludes that there was a data breach which is required to be reported under the Privacy Act, we will accordingly report the breach to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner and the individuals to whom the breach relates (where that individual’s contact details are accurate).
Under the Privacy Act, You may request access at any time to the personal information we hold about You and request such information to be updated. You may do this by emailing email@example.com
Should You not be satisfied with the way Your complaint was handled or determined, You may contact us or, alternatively, contact the Australian Information Commissioner via www.oaic.gov.au
Account means the place on the Marketplace with Your Information about being a Markot Member.
App means the Markot Marketplace in an application format, downloadable by a user to a device.
Customer Service Team means the team Markot has in place to assist with customer enquiries.
Device means the method used to access Markot’s Marketplace.
Marketplace means Markot’s online shopping Marketplace for new and pre-loved Products.
Member means an individual who has an Account on the Marketplace.
Personal Information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
Product means the Products that Markot have put on the Marketplace available for Purchase.
Website means the Markot Marketplace accessible via the internet.
Wishlist means a feature that allows shoppers to save Items that are appealing to that individual to access in one space in future.
Last Updated: 25/08/2022